Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Life's Lessons (Part 1)

I thought I was a patient man. Then I had children. You parents out there, know intimately, that of which I speak. Given the manner in which I began my career, I would not have thought this to be an issue, but alas, it is so. Recently, I found my expectations foiled, leaving a modicum of ensuing stress. Consider the following examples: 1) family travels, and 2) technology. Allow me to illustrate my meaning.

Recently the family & I had occassion to visit the sunny shores of South Carolina. The trip was both for business and pleasure and we had a late Sunday afternoon departure, so the day could proceed at a leisurely pace. Well that didn't work out. On the preceding Thursday, our airline called to inform us that our flight had been cancelled. They offered two alternatives for transport, neither of which was very convenient. Pressing the coordinator, for a few more options, I was able to get us booked with a partner airline, and this flight had an hour earlier departure, which to my thinking, was a gift of a little extra margin.

Sunday arrives and things began well. Up at 5:30 am, I met with some friends, A.K.A, The Brothers Of Good FortuneTM, to race in a triatholon. The heat was, well stifling, but the weather was otherwise fortutious, and we all finished with respectable times, and we're home before lunch. A feeling of smugness came over me, as I thought "this is working out even better than I'd planned. " Next, on the agenda was a shower, lunch and packing. All of which occurred in a rather expeditious fashion. Mom arrived shortly and things continued to look golden. Departure time occurs, load up the troops throw in 1 last bag, and .........the locks on my van doors jam. Up-down-up-down-up-down interminably. I nearly prayed for the motor to burn out. But this was a day of good fortune and so, we were able to determine that my golf clubs we inadvertently applying pressure to a rear switch. Collective sigh of relief from the wife and I. After all who wants to start out a vacation/trip with an automotive repair?

Pulled out the van, shut the garage door and we're .....uh-oh. The garage door broke. Great! I'm seeing my margin vanish into the afternoon sun. Well actually, the cable came unhooked from the pulley, so a minor repair, and a liter of sweat later we were finally underway.

Ah, the airport! Feelings of nostalgia and excitement, and the familiar rush of adrenaline. Checked in with record speed. Was pumped, but then, the stinkin' little terminal monitor had the gall to instruct me to get my seat assignments at the gate. This is not a good sign as you undoubtedly know. We get to the gate, gate F. Wife und kinder settle in and I get in line. 5 minutes later I am still in line, when the attendant informs us of a gate change. She is not happy as this is apparently the second change already. Oh well of to gate C. That's right gate C. So for the benefit of those unfamiliar with the Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport, let me just say, that's a haul, particularly with three children, now whining, and their carry-ons. The eldest child Grisby & I took off for the gate, determined to get a seat assignment. I was pleased that his little legs kept up and we made it in about 7 minutes, slightly sweaty, and beating the gate attendant. Good fortune smiled and this time we were second in line. The attendant arrives and calls her Super to let he/she know that she's arrived and setting up. The expression on her face & and the expletive under her breath told me things were about to change again. So they did. Off to another gate. This time, I was near the rear, the kids and wife were visibily annoyed and I was losing confidence in being able to get on our flight. A half-hour later, I end up at the desk and learn to my dismay, that due to winds and air-temperature, our full flight had to bump 15 passengers. "What! Are you saying we're too fat to fly?" I screamed increduosly in my mind. Okay, I didn't really, I just threw that in, for what is probably a vain attempt at humor.

The culprit in all this was a little fella named Dennis. And seeing as we were part of the last 15 reservations made, we were first on the list to get bumped. Well, my blood pressure was pretty high as we had a connection into Atlanta (freebie lesson--don't connect in Atlanta-ever). Suffice it to say we were the last on the plane, big whew! The flight was delayed for what seemed like an eternity and Atlanta was a monsoon upon arrival. The good news was our connection was also delayed so we were able to make it.

Well we finally arrived at our ultimate destination around 11:30pm, which when all the delays are considered, wasn't terribly late. All our bags? Accounted for-bonus! The baby's car seat was soaked from the Atlanta deluge, but considering we were there--happy feelings.

I went to get our van from Enterprise, and....they're closed. What the heck! We just confirmed this morning and they're supposed to be open to midnight! I was feeling peevish. Fortunately, Budget was open, and as good fortune would have it, they had a van. Now we had called Budget early in the reservation process and they were out-of-control expensive, so I was not to happy; but having spent the morning with The Brothers Of Good Fortune, their graces must have rubbed off on me, for I was able to procure a better deal than I had with Enterprise. Net savings = $55. Oh yeah!

So, even though things didn't work out quite as I'd planned, they worked out. And as I drifted off to sleep around 1:45 am I was reminded of the value of trusting patience. I smiled knowing that my crabby children, safely sleeping in their beds, would undoubtedly sleep late allowing us to make up for this grueling day.

At 7 am, I awoke with a start from the little human alarm clocks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home