Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Profile

Neil Cavuto is right. Lay off grandma! Neil experience reminds me of the scene from one of the Airplane movies. I don’t remember if it was I or II. It is the scene at the metal detector. People are walking through. An obvious terrorist walks through carrying an RPG. Nothing. Some people in military uniforms walk through carrying machine guns and grenades. Nothing. Then a little old lady shuffles through and sets off the metal detector. She is immediately swarmed and thrown up against the wall and searched at gun point. When that scene is played out in reality, something needs to be changed.

Brit Hume put the whole profiling issue into perspective this past weekend. He said that if a group of white male terrorist had been blowing up things in Bombay and then I traveled to Bombay, I should expect some specific action to be taken to verify that I am not a terrorist. I should expect to be searched. As Brit said, it is not a case of race, it is a case of statistical probability.

As one who has been plucked from airport lines and unceremoniously wanded in front of my fellow passengers, I support tighter airport security. I am perfectly willing to give up some of my rights so that certain individuals do not deny me of one of my most fundamental civil rights: the right not to be blown up.

Personally, I think we should follow Israeli airport security. Several years ago before the fetching Mrs. Squirrel was Mrs. Squirrel, she was traveling in Israel. When leaving, she was taken out and questioned for about twenty or thirty minutes. From what I know, she received a “light” questioning. Israeli authorities have been known to grill people for hours. I would be willing to put up with that.

I know as Americans we have many rights. But, when the exercise of those rights threatens the rights of others, then I think measures need to be taken. To paraphrase that great civil rights and constitutional scholar Mr. Spock, “The [rights] of the many out weight the [rights] of the few, or the one.”

1 Comments:

At 5:05 PM, Blogger Grisby said...

Preach it! Recently, the family and I were traveling and found ourselves in an incredibly long line at the airport. As you can imagine, traveling w/3 children presents some challenges with the screeners. At any rate, I told the gentleman that I appreciated what they (TSA) do and he looked at me, as if he seldom heard such a statement, nodded his head in approval, and pending the removal of something metal from my son's pocket, we were on our way.

Seriously, I consent to be searched.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home