Wednesday, July 20, 2005

And So It Starts

I don't have a lot of time to do an indepth discussion of Judge Roberts' nomination to the SCOTUS. But, over the next few days, I hope to do some short posts discussing various aspects of his nomination.

It was great fun to watch the left's reaction to yesterday's White House "head fake." First it was "We don't like Judge Clement." Then it was "We don't like Judge Brown." Then it was "We don't like Judge Luddig." In the end it was just funny to watch them. "We don't like [insert name here]."

It is also interesting to see the left's reaction today. I looked at the subject lines (there were over 180 when I checked) on a leftie bulletin board. You had the angry liberals, who vowed to fight. You also had the wimpy liberals, who were ready to throw in the towel. They lacked any type of focus.

Last night as I listed to some of the talking heads on the left, I felt that I was experiencing de ja vu as they were expressing their disappointment in the nomination. It seemed that I had heard this all before, but in a religious context. The left could not understand how the Catholic church could elect a Catholic Pope. Now, they can not understand how a conservative President could nominate a conservative judge to the SCOTUS. Once again the far left just does not get it.

Call me an optomist, but at this early stage, I am hoping that dignity will prevail and that the nomination process will not become the partisan circus that it potentially could become. I hope that the Senate will conduct itself honorably. We shall see.

1 Comments:

At 4:04 PM, Blogger Grisby said...

Robert's nomination seems to be what could be termed "check" & "check-mate", if I read the board right. First, he is exquisitely credentialed, and represents the mainstream in America, which can arguably be termed the center-right. Obstruction via filibuster will backfire on the dems in 06, as it did in 2000 & 2004. The senate will confirm Roberts and the consensus will be forced to concede him as a "in the mainstream" appointment. Check. This leaves the door open for the President to nominate a stauncher conservative, a.k.a., Judith Brown to the court, once Thomas or Scalia replace Rehnquist as Chief Justice. This nomination will be more difficult to thwart as the President will have made a mainstream appointment, which can be viewed as a concillitory gesture (Roberts cannot readily be classified as an idealogue of the right according to rulings, what is known of him, etc.), thus the increased difficulty from the left. If I'm wrong, which is a possibility, than we should see an end to the filibuster once and for all, in order to get nominees through. The end game of which is still the creation of a legacy for GWB. A good move on the part of the administration I think. I look forward to your posts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home