Friday, June 17, 2005

It's funny how kids...

Have such a filtered view of their parents lives. I mean really, there is so much that my kids don't know about their parents. Not that we don't want to tell them, it's just that many things never really come up.
For instance...I was finishing up cleaning my workshop in our basement (which is another story). My middle son was with me, and asked me about a helmet that I had hanging on the wall. I don't even notice it, just because it has been there for so long. I told him it was a helmet. "For what?", he inquired. I explained that I was a soldier a long time ago... "What's that?" I was in the ARMY I said (knowing he wouldn't know what the AIR FORCE, or more specifically AIR NATIONAL GUARD was). "YOU WERE!", he said with his eyes getting huge.So, what is the next logical question.... (Cue the voice on the Speak and Spell) yep, you are right..."Did you shoot a gun?", he quickly asked.Yes I've shot an M-16 my share of times (although not at anyone, except for blanks during some war games up at Camp Ripley).
Yea... So later that night, I heard my middle boy and my daughter sneaking out of their rooms into the hallway. Their conversation went something like this..."Did you know that dad was in the Army?""What!, Really?""Yea, he used to shoot and kill the bad guys..."I stuck my head out the door and corrected the lad :).

1 Comments:

At 10:00 AM, Blogger Grisby said...

From shooting weapons to killing bad guys...does that infer something about Daddy's anger management skills? ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home