Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Obsession

No. I'm not talking about the famed Calvin Klein fragrance. Rather, we are a culture obsessed with celebrity. TomKat, Brangelina, Bennifer, and of course the famed postumous celebs., JFK, Jim Morrison, Princess Grace, Princess Diana, et. al. Aren't there more important things going on in the world?

It is on this note that I have a confession. I've been racked with guilt over this for the past decade. Oh, I really don't care if there is a book deal and made for tv movie in all of this because the truth needs to be heard. I can't believe I'm going to say this......

My senior year in college, I took a prestigious internship in New York City working for a national publication. I must confess, while excited to be in the Big Apple I was disappointed in my placement. I had hoped to land a spot at Cosmo, thinking that I could hob nob with a supermodel or two, but it was not to be. I ended up at George, and well, the rest is kinda fuzzy.

One particular evening, the boss, took us to Elaine's for happy hour. I really don't know if it was the tequilla shots or the bourbon, but around 10pm or so, I started to finally understand my girlfriend's (& her friends) fascination with JFK Jr. Chalk it up to the wild times of the era, it only happened once, but I too, know the power of such emotionally charged...........................

Detritus. Forgive the saracastic disdain of that fiction, but really! One dead since 1997 and the other shortly after. Why is this news? Some astral-plane energy guru makes a claim that the media would have eaten their offspring to write about 10 years ago, and suddenly, the requisite foam appears in the corners of the mouth? Really, let the dead be and focus on more important issues. Like maybe Africa or the war perhaps?

Posted by full-of-it@armchairpundits.net

1 Comments:

At 2:30 PM, Blogger Grisby said...

Yeah,I copied Lilek's roaming email signature at the end of Back Fence columns due to the fact that I created a little fiction in that post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home