Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Progress?

One great thing about living in today's modern world is the gadgets. One crappy thing about living in today's modern world is the gadgets. Certainly, technology can be a great tool, but it can also be a great waste of time.

Regular readers have probably noted the addition of a new word to my vocabulary arsenal, namely that of margin. I am currently reading a book by the same name, and am finding it to be both interesting and alarming. It is not within the scope of this post to review the book in its entirety, but suffice it to say, the author, Richard Swenson, makes strong arguments for the etiological underpinnings to the increase in health problems within our culture. As a physician, he is pretty well qualified in making such claims, and the good doctor backs up his assertions with hard data.

In a nutshell, the problem is the pace of life and essentially because technology enables us to do more in a shorter period of time, we in fact, do more and feel more harried. The prescription becomes carving out and protecting margin. So dear readers, as Cloud & Townsend commend, get used to saying no and reclaim your life.

At the center of my world-view is humankind's need and dependence on the one true God. We/I need more margin in life to contemplate the things of eternal significance. I am reminded of Joshua 1:9, which exorts the reader to meditate on God's law day and night. We need time to do this, to experience God more fully and know Him more intimately. Meditation necessitates margin. I can't say it any more plainly.

But today's world is all about progress and to that end, we get this. That's right! The bible for the too busy for God folks. In this day and age, like all others that have preceeded it, shouldn't we seek after the whole counsel of God? Don't we need MORE of God's Word as opposed to less?

I think I'll pass on this little, soon to be bestseller and stick with my study Bible and commentaries.

2 Comments:

At 4:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Grisby said...

Thanks for your comments.

I believe this is a summary of Christian teachings in the Bible versus an abridged version of the Bible, although I may be mistaken.

I understand the better than nothing argument, and I believe that God can use anything to bring a person to salvation. That being said, for the Christian, who seeks to mature, sticking with the Bible is the best answer.

I should note that, it seems to me that Christians are obsessed with Christian books (which isn't necessarily a bad thing); however, it seems that many people don't make enough time to read the Word (definitely a bad thing & I'm just as guilty as anybody else). I suppose this is due to a general sense of people being intrigued with other's opinions about the Bible, perhaps looking for those who agree with them(?), to the detriment of being most concerned with God's opinion.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home