Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Minnesota's Jewel

It is unfortunate that this great state is so often associated with the Mall Of America. I recently returned from my annual pilgrimage to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness with my buddy Mark. In my opinion, it is one of the greatest things about this state. In fact, I feel so strongly about this point, that I never want a year of my life to pass, where I don't experience the beauty of this unique environment.

Consider for a moment the pace of your life. How much margin do you experience? Solitude? Between work, family commitments, radio, television, Ipods, and reading this and other blogs, how much quiet reflection is built into your life? If your like me, not enough. In fact, the pace of life, sometimes feels a bit out of control. Well, let me go on record right now, that I resolve to be more intentional about carving out space in my life.

Sunday, Mark and I had an extremely light day. By light, I am referring to the portaging required of us to get to our intended campsite for the night. What a beautiful campsite it was, grassy with a smooth rock landing off the lake. Directly across from our site a stream rushed over a myriad of rocks into the lake below.

After several hours of foraging, sawing, and splitting wood, Mark & I headed across the lake to explore up-stream. Our exploration, lead us to conclude that spring waters probably allow for the shooting of this stream with one's canoe. Not to mention, the rock bed near the base was worn smooth, undoubtedly by these spring waters.

After exploring awhile, Mark & I sat on a stone shelf near the mouth of the stream. When there were no more words to speak, we just sat there, silently drinking it all in-reflecting on the immense beauty of God's creation and enjoying the sights, sounds and smells of the forest. I was compelled to pray. This repose lasted for probably an hour, whereby my prayer was intermingled with brief periods of napping.

As the sun began to set, I arose from the rock shelf feeling refreshed in such a way as to be nearly indescribable. I need more times like this in my life. I hadn't realized how depleted I had become. It was an hour for the soul.

This trip I experienced the howling of a pack of timberwolves, was serenaded by loons, watched the majestic flight of the bald eagle, saw the playfulness of finches, grey-jays, and wood ducks, & had the privilege of crossing path with a beaver, who decidedly punctuated his thoughts on our meeting by slapping his tail forcefully on the water. Of course there were the usual suspects, as well (field mouse, deer, etc.).

God I love you all the more for this place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home