Saturday, September 24, 2005

Riding The Storm Out

Somewhere in the world, my buddy Slick just exclaimed, "Last song people!" Cue REO Speedwagon and one nasty wind.

Wednesday’s storm proved to be quite interesting. I worked a little late that evening and left my office shortly before seven o’clock. I had been unaware that a storm was brewing, but Mrs. Grisby called to inform that some weather was headed our way so I should make haste home or perhaps sit tight until it passed.

I chose option A and headed north. As I approached North Hennipen Community College, the power at the traffic lights went out. No problem, Minnesotans tend to be courteous, so each driver waited his or her turn before proceeding. Looking out my window to the west, I observed a wall cloud moving in at a good clip. I kept a vigilant eye on it as I waited and noticed a spiraling, wispy finger descending from the underside of the cloud. I didn’t see any rotation, but I thought to myself that it could be the formation of something ominous. The lighting display that accompanied this cloud was truly a sight to behold. I've never seen anything like it in my life. At times it was so bright, that I'd inadvertently blink. It was as if the clouds were at war with each other. Spectacular.

I approached the 610 corridor preparing to hop on, when the sky grew much darker and the wind picked up significantly. Rain began pelting my car and visibility was next to nothing. I briefly considered pulling off the road, but thought, “If I can just get on the highway, the storm will be at my back.”

I navigated my way onto 610 and kept the needle a hair above 65. It continued to rain hard and visibility was a little better but not great. The neighborhoods to the south of the highway were without power. It is interesting to drive through the city, in the dark and have it be, well dark. At any rate, those familiar with this road know that it veers sharply north while crossing the Mississippi River before resuming its East/West course. As I neared the bridge, I wondered what the wind would be like. The geography of the river is such that I thought it could act as a wind tunnel, which would make crossing the bridge interesting.

The cross was pretty uneventful with the exception of some debris blasting into the sides of my car. I wondered where it came from. Coming off the bridge near East River Road, the pavement was dry and the winds subsided. I thought to myself that I must have been keeping just ahead of it. By the time I exited on University Avenue moments later, the wind and rain had caught up with me.

I proceeded north with a fair amount of anxiety. I turned on 105th Avenue, noticed that the gas station had lost all of it’s enumerative signage, and pretty much lost what remaining visibility I had left. I hit the Brights and proceeded to my street. I made the turn and again, the winds were viciously pelting my car with hail and debris. Having a canopy of mature trees above me, I prayed that none would fall on my head as I navigated the street to my house.

I made it home in time to watch my neighbors to the west lose power. The family was in the basement waiting for me. After awhile the storm ameliorated and we put the kids to bed, and then went to inspect the damage. Fortunately for us there was none. Those at the end of our block were not so lucky. The water was about four feet high and virtually every mature tree at the end of my street was lost. Houses were damaged. The streets were blocked with the mighty throng of fallen oaks and elms. A few blocks further away-the homes were utterly destroyed. If you live locally, these were the ones you saw on the news.

It turns out, that the day after the storm, The National Weather Service determined an F-2 tornado came through the hood. I ended up with a forced day off from work (no power) so the family and I went to inspect the damages. I can’t even begin to describe it. This was a time where I wish I had a digital camera. At any rate, utter chaos. The Mrs. worked hard not to cry. There is a silver lining however, even in this. Everywhere you looked neighbor was helping neighbor. And from the stories coming out of our church this was happening all over the north metro as well. I know we met some people in our neighborhood that we hadn't known previously, which is always a treat. The way people pull together in the face of disaster is a great thing about America and is truly a Christian ethic.

Afterward, we made way for Costco to fill the van and gather some food staples. Apparently, there was enough wood and debris on our street that by the time we made it to the store, the van had a flat tire. Of course I didn’t notice it until after we had purchased our supplies, e.g., cheese & milk. You know? I was utterly happy to contend with that flat. It could have been so much worse. Click here for more on the storm. In the meantime I'm on the hunt for pictures.

3 Comments:

At 3:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home