Friday, November 04, 2005

A Few Things............

Wow! It's been entirely too long since I've posted. The trick is to keep posting. I get into a rhythm, the writing happens more easily, and I find that I'm in the groove. Since, I haven't been posting, this first one back may be more laborious.

Last week's withdrawl of Harriet Mier's nomination to SCOTUS upset me. I was not upset because of her reputation for demonstrating her legal acumen, but rather, that what seemed to be the most prudent course of action, that is, see what develops in the hearings and make an informed decision via an up or down vote. I wrote previously of the necessity for calmness and an open mind, but the punditry of the right ensured that this did not happen. I find this unfortunate and prejudicial as the center right has long argued for the fairness of an up or down vote in the hearings.

Was Mier's as convoluted as her nearly 20 year old writings and speeches indicated? Was she the solid conservative that many believed her to be? We'll never really know, and frankly this creates some implications. Hugh has written extensively on this, and suffice it to say, October 27th, postings were much needed and largely unheeded. Later this month, the SCOTUS is set to hear an important case on parental notification. This is an important first step in the courts role regarding the abortion controversy. While unlikely, it is possible that conservatives may have shot themselves in the foot on this one.

Anyway.....moving on to Judge Alito. A fine pick if you ask me. He's a solid jurist, and an I-TIE to boot! I'm liking what I see thus far.

On other fronts, there are many things to cover of more interest, but I will keep this short and save something for later. Have a great weekend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home