Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Love Is In The Air--A Valentine's Muse

Cue Barry White.

It was a crisp February evening. The westerly wind felt cool on my face. As I sauntered up my driveway, my eyes were drawn heaven-ward, as the stars twinkled in the northern sky. My nostrils filled with the thick smell of a fire, and I imagined the warmth of it's lovely glow. I felt instantly happy, my senses alight with the moment, so rich and ambient in texture. Certainly, "this is a night for romance," I muttered as I climbed the step.

I entered the home to a lovely meal with my wife, and without the children, who were busily amusing themselves in the living room. Afterward, we put the troops in bed and the wife and I snuggled in with a fire in the hearth. As the night slipped away, the last embers flickered into a smoldering wisp of curling smoke. Our eyes heavy with the fog of sleep, that precious and rare commodity in our household, we found our way upstairs, anticipating the promise of sweet slumber.

Drifting peacefully off to happy land, we were suddenly startled by a baby's cry. Could that be Sweet Baby? Alas, no. For the voice became muted and then strangely joined by another. What is this? "Has someone left a baby on our doorstep?" My wife queried. The mere thought horrified me. I fled to the door and thrust it open, immersing the yard with bright light.

There, in my very driveway, were two star-crossed lovers. They turned and stared at me, indignant at the interruption. It was, in that moment, a reckless flaunting of their wanton ways. The incredulous contempt in their eyes spoke volumes. They seemed to taunt me, as if they were saying, "What? On a night like this, how could you not drink of the sweetness of love? "

"Oh, I beg your pardon," I replied with a weighty stare of my own. I picked up a stone, and with a loud cry, bid adieu to the lovers. Unyielding, in their lack of regard for the convention of restraint, esteemed by polite society; these felines continued their breech of decorum on someone else's property.

2 Comments:

At 10:44 PM, Blogger Dana said...

Good greif Miguel! What kind of talk is that? I swear you are becoming more and more redneck. If you start spending all of your time in our garage, you WILL be going to counseling. :o) Blog on Joe, I visit often!

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger Squirrel said...

Actually, IMHO, the "cue Barry White" was the funniest part of the post. I chuckle every time I see it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home